Friday, June 21, 2013

Whole30- Day 8

Confession time- last night I told my husband that I want to quit. Not because it's too hard (it's really not!), not because I'm tired of the food, not because I miss crackers and cheese. I wanted to quit...just because. It would just be easier to not do this anymore.

I've been at this for a week now. And I feel like I've learned a lot in one week- about my eating habits, the mindless eating I wasn't completely aware of before, my problem areas and triggers. Why do it for a month? He lovingly reminded me that I wanted to do this mainly to see if I would stick with it.
For 30 days. Not 7. Then he encouraged me to think about how much I've learned in this week and then multiply that by 3, as I've got 3 weeks to go.

And just like that, I'm back in the game.

(Confession 2- I stepped on the scale today. I'm not supposed to do that until the 30 days are over. I've lost 5 pounds.)

This morning, I just didn't want to put forth the effort of eggs and hash browns, so I had a banana with coconut cream, cinnamon, and almonds. (Notice I didn't call it a banana split. Not for breakfast!) I drank my coffee black. I knew that sweet breakfast wouldn't tide me over until lunch, and I was right. We spent a good 2 hours at the library and I was very hungry when we got home.

So lunch became a plate of piles. A pile of sweet potato hash browns, a pile of veggies, a pile of spaghetti sauce. Hearty and satisfying and it cleaned out the fridge a bit. Win, win.

Immediately after I finished lunch, I felt light-headed and had a headache coming on. I assumed I hadn't had enough protein today. So instead of popping some Advil, I grabbed some cold chicken from the fridge. Between that and lying down with my daughter, I hoped to catch it before my headache got bad.

It got bad. I tried some afternoon coffee. I tried more protein (chicken and avocado dressing lettuce wrap). I tried lots of water. I ate more lettuce wraps for dinner, heavy on the chicken. Eventually, I gave up and took an Imitrex, which worked, thankfully.

I want Whole30 to be a magic pill that makes my headaches go away forever. That's probably too much to expect at all, but especially 8 days in.

I found myself seeking comfort (?) in something sweet, so I whipped up some "ice cream." (I tried again with that whipped sorbet and it worked, after the berries thawed out a bit!) It was delicious, but I think I need to start paying more attention to the food I'm seeking out. (Obvious statement.)
Berry Coconut "Ice Cream"

frozen blueberries, slightly thawed
frozen strawberries, slightly thawed

Combine berries in food processor and blend well. Add coconut cream, mix well and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment