Saturday, October 09, 2010

Cheesy Oven Fries

The Garlic Fries I usually make are delicious. They are one of the very few ways I can actually get my children to eat potatoes (other than McDonald's, of course). This recipe is even easier to make, as it doesn't require you to flip or turn the fries at all. You just pile them on the pan, toss them in the oven and devour them about 45 minutes later. And devour them we did.
Cheesy Oven Fries
adapted from Mad Hungry

3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/3 inch thick french fry style strips, soaked in cold salted water (to prevent browning)
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (the original recipe calls for dried Italian herbs, but I just went with what I had on hand and what complimented the rest of the meal the best)
1 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
2 tbs butter, cut into cubes

Preheat oven to 400. Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Spread 1 tbs olive oil onto a baking sheet and spread out the potatoes. (Overlapping is fine!) Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over the potatoes. Liberally spread the cheese on top. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the cheese. Scatter the cubed butter around the pan. Bake until potatoes are golden brown, rotating the pan after 30 minutes, for 45-50 minutes total. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. SO I was planning on making baked potatoes tonight, but after seeing this recipe for cheesy fries I think I'll switch gears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE hit at our house. Even my son who claims he doesn't like potatoes was excited about "cheesy fries" (because he likes french fries - just not usually the ones I make). thanks!

    ReplyDelete