Friday, September 24, 2010

Fiesta Chicken and Rice

I go through stages where I become obsessed with a certain chef, cooking show, etc. and check out every single book my library has. A few years ago, living without cable, that obsession became America's Test Kitchen. So I checked out 8 or 9 enormous volumes and my eyes popped out of my head at their detailed recipes. Then I discovered their magazines, and enjoyed a bit more the more approachable Cook's Country Magazine. It's where I snagged this one-pot-wonder that we all enjoyed. Perhaps you will, as well.
Fiesta Chicken and Rice
from Cook's Country Magazine

1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup long grain white rice
1 chopped onion
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
4 scallions, sliced thinly

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large, heavy skillet over medium-high. Cook until golden on one sides, about 4 minutes; transfer to plate. Add rice, onion, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice is sizzling and toasted and onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and spices and cook about 15 seconds. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Replace chicken, browned side up. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 12 minutes. Removed cooked chicken, stir rice, replace lid and cook about 12 minutes more. Slice chicken and serve over rice. Top with cheese and scallions.

1 comment: