Friday, August 06, 2010

Mindless Meals

I'm asking for your help.

We've been eating out WAY too much lately, as a result of my total lack of desire to cook. Triple digit temperatures, exhaustion by the end of the day, stir-crazy, cabin-fevered kiddos...whatever it is, cooking is the last thing I want to do at the end of the day.

But we had to break the cycle. Our boys both had a bit of stomach trouble as a result of the endless corn dogs, pizzas, and sausage biscuits. (Does that officially make me the worst mom ever?)

So last night's grocery trip included a few of my "mindless meals" that I'm pretty sure I will at least have the energy to concoct. Spaghetti, Spanish Rice, Buitoni Tortellini. I even grabbed tons of fresh veggies to have on hand because most nights even making a salad takes too much effort. But I need more meals in my arsenal.

Can you help? Any mindless meals you're willing to share with me? My family thanks you!

4 comments:

  1. I can't help you with meals, but have you ever watched the TV show "Breaking Bad"? It's a fictional show about meth dealers. After I saw the episode about the meth-addicted parents and their completely neglected 4-year-old, I try to give other parents (and myself) a lot more slack. You're doing great, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls can't have it (gluten!), but the hubby loves tortellini mixed with cucumber and tomatoes and tossed with roasted red pepper italian salad dressing. It's so delicious.

    Breakfast dinner is always a hit. You could make a french toast casserole or grab a package of hashbrowns (frozen or refrigerated), toss them in a BIG nonstick frying pan. Add sausage (we use turkey sausage) and scrambled eggs, mix it all together. You could also add peppers and onions, but if your kids are like mine, they won't touch them.

    Do you have a crockpot? We love taco soup, pulled pork sandwiches and crockpot lasagna. All are super easy and don't heat up the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my "mindless meals" are a little more heary winter food, but they're so easy that I eat them year round:

    #1 - meatball soup - all you need is a cup of rice, a jar of pasta sauce and a package of frozen meatballs (I use the PC brand meatless ones, they're awesome!), two jars of water and you're all set.

    #2 - slow cooker italian chicken - a package of pre-shredded coleslaw, sliced mushrooms, an onion sliced, 4 skinless chicken quarters, a jar of pasta sauce and some fresh basil - layer in your crockpot, cook on low for 8 hours, enjoy!

    I hope you find these meals helpful. They're quick and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keely! I found your blog through the Project Food Blog..and could totally relate to your profile! I have 3 picky boys myself (and another due in April)! I just became your newest follower. I have a few really good "really quick and easy" dinners on my blog clowerscuisine.blogspot.com. Feel free to check it out!

    ReplyDelete