Friday, May 15, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

So, I don't like raisins. I don't really even like grapes, unless they're frozen. N doesn't like raisins, unless they're in a bowl of Raisin Bran and then, apparently, it can't be a bowl of Raisin Bran that I've fixed for him; it has to be his Daddy's bowl.

So why on earth would I choose Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for my entry into Rookie Cookie's Cookie Blitz? Why would I choose them as my "favorite" cookie? Well, besides the fact that I had 3 more boxes of snack-sized raisins in my cabinet (that I purchased after N assured me that he loved them and had to have them), they are really really good. And that's saying a lot, because...I don't like raisins. But I love these cookies. And so does N (and C, for that matter). Go figure.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From Joy of Cooking

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease or line 2 cookie sheets.
Whisk together:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Beat in a large bowl until well blended:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla

Stir in the flour mixture. Then stir in:
1 cup raisins, chopped
3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
(3/4 cups chopped walnuts) (optional)

Shape the dough into generous 1 1/2 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Flatten the balls into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until the cookies are lightly browned all over, 12-14 minutes. Let stand briefly, then remove to a rack to cool.

Makes about 48 3-inch cookies. (though I must make mine HUGE because I never get that many out of this recipe. But I never hear any complaints...)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for contributing to Cookie Makes a Comeback. These cookies are an essential staple and I don't know anyone who doesn't like an oatmeal cookie. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete