Saturday, April 25, 2009

Strawberry Pizza

This has been a family staple for as long as I can remember, however I can't remember the last time I had it. We celebrated my Grannie's 79th birthday at our house today, and I thought this was the perfect occasion to bring it back. It was just as good as I remember (and REALLY easy to make!). Do yourself a favor and try this sometime soon, when the strawberries are really in season and super sweet.
Strawberry Pizza

For the crust: I often double the crust and use a standard size cookie sheet. I don't double the other ingredients. I believe this officially makes me the black sheep of the family. ;)
1 cup flour
3 tbs sugar
1 stick butter, melted

Stir ingredients together, press into a 9*13 inch baking dish or a round pizza pan. Bake at 325 until lightly golden, 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely before topping with:

For topping:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
8 oz. container of cool-whip (alternatively, use 3/4 cup heavy cream, beaten to soft peaks)

Mix together, spread on top of crust.

Top with 1 pound of sliced strawberries tossed with 1-2 tbs sugar.  (The original recipe calls for 1 jar of strawberry glaze, which is found in the produce section. I just can't bring myself to use it anymore. This too is bucking tradition)

Refrigerate until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment