Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Best Drop Biscuits

If you're a biscuit lover, like every single member of my family, please step away from the can right now. I promise you, these are the easiest and most delicious biscuits, and you can have them whipped together in less time than it takes your oven to heat up. (I promise. That's what happened to me this morning.)
These biscuits are unusual in that you use melted butter instead of cold butter that you have to "cut into" the flour. This trick makes them pretty much fool-proof as well as super light and flaky.

Best Drop Biscuits
From Best of America's Test Kitchen- 2009

Makes 12 biscuits

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup cold buttermilk (you can make buttermilk by combining whole milk with a splash of lemon juice or white vinegar, which is what I almost always do.)
1 stick butter, melted and cooled slightly (about 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 475. In a large bowl, whisk to combine the dry ingredients- the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine completely, being careful not to over-mix.
Using a 1/4 cup measure (or large ice cream scoop), scoop out the batter onto a greased or lined cookie sheet. Bake biscuits 12-14 minutes, until lightly golden. If desired, brush with melted butter when you remove them from the oven.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to give these a try. My family is spoiled to the expensive Schwans biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these for breakfast yesterday and they were delicious! I'm such a rolled and cut biscuit devotee but between your recommendation and the quick method I was convinced to try. They won me over! A great option for getting your biscuit fix on a weekday morning or in a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I think we might cut back on baked goods in our house, I see something great like this and the intention fails. Yum!
    Btw, I am a believer in buttermilk and buy it almost weekly. I find that even the vinegar sub just can't beat the greatness it brings to pancakes and other things.

    ReplyDelete