Wednesday, October 05, 2011

NOT Hamburger Helper

It's something I'm proud of in the ugly, sinful sense, I admit. But I'm proud to say I've never eaten Hamburger Helper. I'm sorry if it offends you, but I'm anti-Helper, okay? Why do you need a box of preservatives to feed your family something that you can make with real ingredients, instead? Like this dish, which I like to call a happy accident. It's so kid-friendly, unless your kid is my oldest, who currently eats nothing and spat this out as if it were laced with arsenic.
NOT Hamburger Helper
adapted from Claire Robinson

1 lb ground beef
1 box penne pasta
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup cream
4 oz grated cheddar
salt and pepper

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return it to the pot. Add the milk, cream, and cheese and stir to melt the cheese completely. Season with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the pasta, check for seasonings.

2 comments:

  1. My oldest wouldn't eat it either. She doesn't like cheese very much (except parmesan) & especially hates melted cheese. I bet the twins would gobble it up though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once worked so long on a recipe that I thought was going to be so amazing. Homemade tortillas. The works. The meal ended up being from-scratch hamburger helper. And unfortunately, really no better than the box. But who am I to complain? I ate HH for years as a single gal. Confession!

    ReplyDelete