Monday, July 18, 2011

Pork Loin Pitas with Feta Sauce

I would never try to recreate the gyros from our favorite Greek dive. So I'm not even going to refer to these as gyros. What they are is a quick, delicious, hearty sandwich that everyone in my family enjoyed. They were perfect with garlic fries!
Pork Loin Pitas with Feta Sauce
feta sauce from Everyday Food

1 pork tenderloin (around 1 lb)
salt and pepper
dried oregano
4 pitas
2 oz feta cheese
juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tbs water
shredded lettuce

Trim pork tenderloin of any excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Heat about 2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pork and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on every side and cooked through, about 10 minutes. (Even though I patted the pork dry, it still let off a lot of moisture, so I cranked the heat up to medium high until the water cooked off, then lowered it back to medium to let the meat brown and cook through.)
In a food processor, combine feta cheese, lemon juice, water (start with 1 tbs and add from there), and salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
Warm pitas in the microwave or wrap in foil and warm in the oven. Fill with pork, top with lettuce and feta sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I just made Pioneer Woman's shredded pork, and we might just have to eat it this way!

    Btw, do you have any recommendations on food processors and/or blenders? How large does the FP need to be for most recipes (3c or 7c)? Can any blenders act as a FP?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I only have a "mini-prep" processor, which is TINY. I used it for the sauce and use it to make peanut sauce for sesame noodles and only a few other things. The blender I have usually doesn't do the job that a food processor does, because I think a blender just requires more liquid than a processor does.
    I would say you can probably get away with a 3 cup, but if you have access to a 7 cup, that's what I'd get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Somehow I've made it without a food processor the 6 years I've been married, but with the 3 kiddos, it's now a priority. :)

    ReplyDelete