Monday, July 25, 2011

Guacamole Salad

To be honest, this is the dish that inspired me to eat mostly-meat-free for the next month.

We had it on Thursday for dinner with friends (along with taquitos), and even my skeptical (scared) husband had two helpings of it! (I should think it goes without saying that my extremely picky little boys didn't eat a single bite of it.) I liked it so much, I headed back to the farmer's market and restocked the supplies needed to make another round. We had it for lunch yesterday with brown rice and tortillas. It's great as a chunky monkey salsa, eaten with chips.
Guacamole Salad
adapted from Ina Garten

2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 cup red onion, sliced very thinly
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
juice of 1-2 limes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 avocados, seeded, peeled and diced

In a large bowl, place tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, corn, and beans. Squeeze over the juice of 1 (very juicy) or 2 (somewhat stingy) limes, drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Taste for seasoning. When ready to serve, gently fold in avocados. (I made up a big batch for the fridge and just left out the avocado. I slice it and add it in when we're ready to eat.)

1 comment:

  1. feel like you are talking directly to my grumbling stomach, i love guacamole!!!

    ReplyDelete