Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Strawberry Icebox Pie

I made this for the first time last weekend. You may remember that I'm trying out a new dessert every month. This little beauty was delicious, simple, and will definitely stay in the book.
I had to make a few modifications because I didn't really read the directions carefully, but it still turned out splendidly. I don't have my own picture of the finished product, because my husband threw the leftovers into a plastic container before I had a chance.

Strawberry Icebox Pie
adapted from Everyday Food Magazine

10 graham crackers (2 1/2 by 5 inches)
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice (I used the juice of 1 large lemon and water to make up the difference)
2 quarts strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (a few whole berries reserved for garnish)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, blend graham crackers with 2 tablespoons sugar until finely ground; add butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press mixture into the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cranberry juice, 2 cups strawberries, cornstarch, and salt. Using a potato masher, gently mash strawberries. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until very thick, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries. Pour into cooled pie crust.
Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours (or up to 1 day).

In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over cream and continue to beat until soft peaks return (do not overbeat). Spread whipped cream over pie, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around edge. Garnish with whole berries.

1 comment:

  1. Let's make a deal. You just send me one of everything that you decide to make. And I'll eat it.

    Okay?

    Deal?

    ReplyDelete