Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce

Note to self: Always check your food blog for changes you made to a recipe before attempting said recipe again.
So last night I made Corn and Salsa Tortilla Soup once again as well as Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce (for the first time). I hadn't planned on making both in the same night, but figured if I was firing up the broiler for peppers for 1 meal, I may as well broil all the peppers. I remembered the soup being a success the first time, but I did not remember all the changes I made to the recipe. Sadly, not one person at the table enjoyed or finished the soup. I had originally reduced the number of peppers from 3 to 1, worried that we wouldn't like the flavor. I was right to do so.
Thankfully, I did make the chicken the same night, otherwise we would have been feasting on pizza from the freezer once more. While the pepper flavor overwhelmed the soup, it was perfect in this sauce. I pulled out some flour tortillas and the husband and I thoroughly enjoyed some impromptu chicken enchiladas with poblano cream sauce. In fact, I'll probably make these again and call it a happy accident.
The boys, unfortunately, ate yogurt and popcorn.
At least dinner wasn't a total bust.
Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce
Adapted from Great Food Fast

1 poblano chile
2 tbs canola oil
1/2 small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Roast the chile over a gas burner or under the broiler, until charred all over. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let steam for 5 minutes. Rub off the skin; remove seeds and ribs. Chop coarsely.
Heat 1 tbs of the canola oil in small saucepan over medium heat; add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the chile and cream.
Puree in a blender; add water if too thick. Season with salt and pepper.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining tbs oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Cook chicken until golden and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Slice and serve with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment