Saturday, September 11, 2010

Turkey, Bacon, and Egg Breakfast Sandwich

On our fifth anniversary, my darling husband and I celebrated with a long weekend getaway to Kansas City. We stayed in a fabulous hotel that boasted a made-to-order omelette bar, but we splurged on Sunday brunch. We ate at a fabulous cafe on the Plaza called The Classic Cup. When we lived in Kansas City, we often walked on the Plaza, gawking at the delicious plates of food being served al fresco at the outdoor cafe. Our plates did not disappoint.
I ordered the Smoked Turkey Hot Browns- english muffins topped with turkey, bacon, eggs, and a cheddar cheese sauce. I was about 7 months pregnant at the time and could have happily devoured two servings. So when I found myself on this leisurely weekend morning with a roasted turkey breast in the fridge, I set to work.
I have learned not to try and completely replicate a meal because I am inevitably disappointed, so I gave it my own spin and used what I had (plus I am 3 1/2 months pregnant and ravenously hungry and impatient in the mornings).
Here's what I came up with, and yes, I could have easily eaten two servings of this beauty as well.
Turkey, Bacon, and Egg Breakfast Sandwich

2 slices of ciabatta bread, toasted
2 slices cheddar cheese
2 slices crispy cooked bacon
2 thick cut slices roasted turkey
1 egg, scrambled (or whatever style you prefer)

In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter. Add turkey and warm through, remove from pan. Add egg, season with salt and pepper and cook to desired doneness. Place cheese slices on toasted bread, top with bacon, turkey and egg.
DEVOUR.
The smoked turkey hot browns come topped with a slice of tomato, which I think would have been a lovely addition to my sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. O great! That picture just made my dill pickles and coffee not seem as satisfying.

    ReplyDelete